Sunday, January 13, 2013

The "Lasts" of Life


Today was another "last" in my life. It was the last time I would help my son Luke get ready to go back to Liberty University. It is his last semester as a senior.  He is my last child in college. Wow! This requires a moment to pause and just breathe. I will never pass this way again....

I have hardly had a moment to process it all. It was a whirlwind of activity with the normal Sunday happenings, and our children over for our "last" lunch together, getting all of Luke's stuff out and ready, and playing with Micah (that is also important). 

I did enjoy my day, although, it could have been different. I finally succumbed to the flu on Thursday night, and up until today, I was unable to do much of anything, but cough and lay around like a blob. I didn't go to church today, but I had enough energy to be up and helping out.

I remember other "last" times in my life. There was the last special moment I remember with my dad before he died. Dad was going to a special event and since Mom was out of town he needed me to help him with his cuff links. He looked so handsome, and he smelled so good. I fixed his tie, kissed his face. A special father-daughter moment. Then there was the last special conversation I had with my grandma (Mammy). The day before she was gone, we had a long conversation on the phone. We talked and laughed. I remember feeling so happy when I got off the phone. She was so chipper. I just remember how loved I felt after our little talk. I had no idea she would die the very next day. 

So today, I am feeling very nostalgic. My babies are so grown up now. Several of my favorite people aren't here on the earth anymore. Life moves forth at lightening speed. What are your favorite "last" days that you remember? Will you share one with me?

~teresa~ 

12 comments:

  1. My favorite last moment was the last deploument that Jeff did in the Navy. So many lonely times in my marriage were coming to an end. This is why every Sunday Morning when we are at church together we celebrate with a kiss when we are invited to greet each other. Must stop now. The tears are starting to flow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Evie's last breath. Her profile just looked so much like her daddy to me in that moment. Sometimes when I see him sleeping my heart skips a beat because she looked so much like him. I hope I never forget it. <3

    I love you and I love the new blog look!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh my, yes! Definitely a sacred moment. I didn't know you thought that she looked like her daddy. That is very sweet to me. I have special memories from that night. Forever imprinted on my mind.
      I love you too! Thanks for the imput on the new look.

      Delete
  3. I remember the day before Emma was born and I became a mother. Andrew and I walked at the track at UNC around 6 or 7 PM that evening (we lived in Chapel Hill, NC back then! Andrew was finishing college by taking one last class the summer Emma was born). We talked about what it was going to be like being parents, what would Emma look like? What would she be like?! I was scared of labor... what was THAT going to be like? So many unknowns. We were nervous, excited... anticipating. Little did we know by that time the next day we'd be at the hospital in labor and I'd be calling my mom to see how much longer until she'd get there... It's so hard to believe there was ever a time when my children weren't in my life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lovely times, lovely memories! I am glad Andrew was there for your first birth! :)

      Delete
  4. Lasts - make me all nostalgic! My wedding day. Although a wonderful first, also a last - the last day that I "belonged" truly, in the home I'd grown up in for almost 25 years. Although excited to start my own family, it was so hard to leave all those precious people behind. My parents and siblings gave me more than could even be imaginable, and I was always so unconditionally loved. Even when you're excited to move on, it's sad to say goodbye. Another fave last is saying goodbye to Doug for the last time. He was my dads best friend, and passed away from cancer when he was 33 years old. -I was 14, and he was such a good example and encouragement to us all. I'll never forget our final conversation at the hospital. There are oh so many more I ponder from time to time...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Life before children. It is good to contemplate these events, especially those that change our lives forever!

      Delete
  5. I made a lot of trips from IN to FL in a 2-year period when my Mom & Dad were both living their last days on earth. My Dad was 90 and in a nursing home in FL when I saw him for the last time. My last morning there I stood by his bedside, saying goodbye and telling him that I loved him, before hurrying to catch my plane. My Dad had been a Barber for over 50 years and even at that moment, when the rest of his body was so weak, he had very strong hands. I needed to be on my way, so I kissed him and tried to let go of his hand but he held me so tightly that even in his condition, there was no way I could get out of his grip. I kept looking for someone to help me but no one was around. I began to get panicky about my plane when, finally, a Young nurses Aide walked by the door. I called to her and told her my situation. By that time I was in tears. It was a struggle but she was finally able to substitute her hand for mine. I left quickly, letting the tears come. To this day I can still feel his hand holding me. It was saying, "I love you."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for sharing that special memory with me. Uncle Francis was a sweet man. I loved going to Aunt Ruby and Uncle Francis' house. They were so loving and so much fun! It must have torn your heart in two, knowing you had to leave, but wanting to be there with him.

      Delete
  6. 10/24/04... The last day I saw my mom... They made the choice to take her off life support. I remember the nurse asking me if I was ready to go into her hospital room and my heart breaking In a million pieces... In the room I places my hand on hers, told her how much I loved her... Her hand moved across mine... Then within a moment, she was in heaven and that was the last time I saw my mom.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for sharing that very special memory with me. Life is so short and so precious

      Delete