Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Adding a Built-In Desk in the Loft Area

I have been in such a dilemma concerning my organization (or lack of!) After moving Luke's room downstairs and re-purposing a few pieces of  furniture, I was really left with such a mess! For one thing, I also decided to do a painting project at the same time. Have no idea what got into my head. I plead insanity! The furniture painting didn't go so well, but that is a different story for another time.


After the move all the stuff from the TV cabinet drawers were dumped on Luke's bed, the entire office was dumped upstairs, and craft and photos boxes were everywhere. I couldn't figure out where to put all this stuff! First off, I am not a minimalist (shocking, I know.) Second, I have moved into a build-as-you-go house, and there just aren't all the normal closets and storage for our stuff.


I was diligently searching craigslist for a new desk that could house the computer and office stuff all in one place. Until recently, my computer was upstairs and the office stuff was in the downstairs bedroom and a variety of places in the house. It was driving me crazy! I know....short drive. The problem was that the loft area is such a unique space that none of the desks had the right measurements.


Never fear, I have a secret weapon.  Candice Olson from Divine Design has her Chico, and I have my Dave! He ever so graciously said he would build me a desk! He had me sit at an imaginary desk and we decided on the measurements. Just like that! No plans necessary!
Dave used 3/4" mdf, because I wanted a smooth writing surface. I really wanted to put formica on top of it, but it was way too expensive for us right now. I like the look and feel of a formica top, because paint can have a stickiness to it. The mdf cost about $31, and we had to buy 2 sheets. I already had Zinsser Bullseye primer, and I borrowed white Valspar paint from my daughter-in-law. 
I put primer on it and painted the underside before he installed it upstairs. I am going  to put a water base poly coat over the paint. The paint is just too sticky without it.
He had to cut down the underside of my file cabinet in order for it to fit under the desk. I am short, so I didn't want or need my desk to be as tall as most desks. Besides, the ceiling is slanted and it would make me feel claustrophobic if my face was too close to the ceiling. 

I love it! I can actually put my papers on the desk as I type instead of on my knees. It is still a work in progress, though,  because I don't have all the pretty storage containers yet. It is a relief to be able to find what I am looking for! Well, almost. 

As you can see, I have a ways to go to get it all put away. I still have some office supplies in the loft bedroom cabinet. I must sort, simplify and store!

7 comments:

  1. Isn't it fun and satisfying to visualize something and see it come to pass? Candace Olsen, eat your heart out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Teresa,
    My heart is so happy after seeing your new desk area. It is just what the organized women needs. I am sure your head is clearer already. Love ya, Chris

    ReplyDelete
  3. i love it!!!! That man of yours - he's a keeper. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your new space is so attractive! How nice to have such a talented and handy-man husband. I know you will really enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your new space is so attractive! How nice to have such a talented and handy-man husband. I know you will really enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nicely done! I'm really impressed at all the creative talent going on there!
    Happy Easter!

    ReplyDelete